Saturday, May 18, 2013

Full Circle: My Soccer Story

If I am going to write about this wonderful new opportunity to watch professional soccer in Indiana I might as well tell you how I found the world of soccer in the first place. Anyone who knows me could tell you that it's not a likely story, though it is quite fitting that the tale starts and ends in one place: The Circle City of Indianapolis.

The capital city of Indiana has always been important to my family, as it has for many families in this great state and around the world. My grandfather started the tradition in 1958 by making his first journey to the Indianapolis Motor Speedway in May. The love of open-wheel racing spread to every member of the Jobe family and a trip to the Speedway has almost become a right-of-passage for us. In all actuality, there was no way my life would not revolve around Indianapolis.

Growing up a race fan in Indiana is probably a lot like growing up a soccer supporter in London. Indianapolis always has been and always will be the center of the racing world. You can drive an hour in any direction and find a historical track that is sacred to the racing community. I spent most of my young life at racetracks and it wasn't long until I decided that when I came of age I would become a race driver myself. This desire, and the goal of Indianapolis, would create the human being that I am today.

I won't bore you with the details of my racing career. Let's just say that even with the many successes we had, after seven years on the track I became good enough to write a blog about a professional soccer team. I was able to compete and win at many famous racetracks, even racing with true legends of the sport in Indianapolis, but I found my true calling when I put my racing helmet in the closet.

When racing ceased being my passion I decided to look for a new hobby. What I found was a new passion that would consume me every bit as much as racing had. Growing up in a small farming town, I never had the opportunity to play soccer and I didn't truly understand the sport. My introduction to the beautiful game came through an X-Box 360 and EA Sport's World Cup 2006 game. Through the game I became interested in watching the tournament and after witnessing Italy defeat France in the World Cup Final I knew I craved more soccer than what was available on my television.

It took a little over a year to realize that live professional soccer was actually an option for someone living on the Indiana/Ohio border, and in late 2007 a friend and I decided to purchase Columbus Crew season tickets. When we made our first trip to Crew Stadium we had no idea what to expect or even if we hadn't wasted our money altogether. Yet thanks to the season opening game of 2008 and a few inebriated Toronto fans, we knew we had made an excellent decision.

The first thing we realized as we sat in our seats was the value of soccer in America. Try to watch an NFL game 19 rows up for twenty dollars; that's right, you can't. The second realization came from the Nordecke, which at the time was the brand new Crew supporters section only two sections away from our seats. The atmosphere of a professional soccer match is unlike any other sport as it comes from the fans and not the action on the field. If you do not know what I mean I urge you to go to a match and experience it, there is no way my words can appropriately encompass the feeling that you get from a great MLS environment. The third realization came as a complete surprise, because we found ourselves invested in the result on the pitch before the match ever kicked-off.

Luckily for us, Toronto had great fan-support in 2008. The team had arranged transportation for their supporters and we found ourselves looking at 2,000 fully invested Canadian fans, plus a few others sitting directly behind us. We knew we were in for an exciting day when the Toronto supporters turned their backs on the American flag during the national anthem. The men behind us used the time to have a conversation which incensed a gentleman sitting next to us. A few words were exchanged between our two factions and wouldn't you know it, we were bleeding Crew Black and Gold already.

The Crew went on to win that match and many others on their way to the 2008 MLS championship. Just like with racing I never had a choice, I was hooked and couldn't get away. Since then I have created friendships with supporters, players and many others inside the sport. The down-to-Earth approach and interactivity of MLS clubs makes you feel like part of the team and you just can't quit on those who are relying on you. Now with the invention of our new show, the MLS Fantasy Insider, we have entered into the underground media aspect of the sport and it has opened many new doors for us. One of those doors leads back to Indianapolis, to complete my circle.

The announcement to bring professional soccer to Indianapolis is an exciting venture for all and one I am looking forward to tremendously. Indy is an amazing city that has always represented the State of Indiana in a way that makes all Hoosiers proud. I truly see professional soccer as a way for the people to give back to this city and I expect everyone will see the possibilities on the first match day. My soccer story will continue and there is no doubt The Indy Eleven will play a big part in it. Indianapolis is in for a real treat and I am glad I will be along for the ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment